It’s official! Also, they can get away with pretty much anything on Starz. Watch this space for more as it comes in!
So it’s after midnight, we’re a little late on his birthday, but it’s never too late for someone this groovy.
The person who posted the upcoming featured compilation on You Tube wanted to make it VERY CLEAR that they did not put the compilation together, nor do they own it, they made a copy and posted it because the original was taken down. Or something. I watch enough footage of Bruce Campbell in Army of Darkness (for one) and I get kind of cloudy and foggy. I’m not going to rhapsodize about the 20-year long crush on him (which is cooling down now, but he’s still charming as hell) but I will say that the time I spent talking with him (in 1993 and 2001; the first time was just me trying to make words that formed recognizable sentences, but I watched him sign autographs in costume as Brisco County for literally six hours) I got the very clear feeling that he has absolutely no ego at all. I’ve met many celebrities, including actors, comedians, and rock stars. Groovy Bruce was one of the very few that didn’t act, even to the slightest degree, that he was doing you a favor by letting you spend time talking to you* For instance, when I thanked him for staying hours past closing at a book signing to make sure everyone got their book signed, hand shook, photo took with him ,etc. he responded that he was the one that should be grateful for the support, and was totally genuine**.
Plus, as you may have noticed, he’s really entertaining.
As you may know, he was supposed to star in “Crime Wave” AKA “The XYZ Murders,” but the studio didn’t want him as the lead, they wanted someone more established (even though a watch of the movie will show you he was ten times the charisma of the actor they did pick as the lead). So Raimi, Tappart, and Bruce wrote a part for him as “Renaldo the Heel,” which he’s so perfect in it’s almost worth having him play a smaller role. Yeah, I know it’s not even close to a horror movie, but fuck it, this is Bruce Campbell here, he earned it (I was going to go for his scenes in Waxwork 2, but failed to locate them anywhere but our personal copy on VHS). Check out a pretty young Campbell in all his scenes below.
Happy Birthday again to Bruce–you’ve made a lot of horror fans, especially female ones, very, VERY happy!
*If I name the other ones, I’m going to sound like I’m name-dropping, and if I tell you which ones were such arrogant douches that I lost respect for them I’m going to sound bitter and negative. But hey, if you want to ask…
**When I was getting up to walk away and out of the store he playfully asked, “Why are you leaving so fast, baby?” This took serious, serious self-control (and the fact I’m married) to just smile at him over my shoulder and walk away from. I’m still surprised I made it all the way to the car with my legs working; took a few minutes to “collect myself” before I could drive, though.
OK, because 24 hours from now we’ll have seen the gory, fun, roller-coaster ride of a flick, we somehow controlled ourselves and stopped watching half-way through the B-roll footage. You WILL be spoiled! It’s not boring, either. We’re talking chopped-up but still possessed bodies being buried, things on fire, Deadites on fire… you’ve been warned.
We also get to see the beautiful Ms. Lucas getting her missing chunk of face-makeup prosthetics applied. FUCK YEAH, PRACTICAL EFFECTS! Sorry, this is like trying to calm down and try to fall asleep when you’re a kid all hyped up on Christmas Eve.
Actually, all the female cast are beautiful. I didn’t recognize Jane Levy out of make-up at the premiere. I’m not that familiar with her work since according to her bio she was born after I graduated from high school (SIGH, but hey, we got to grow up in the 80s Horror Boom, so who’s REALLY lucky?) and we don’t watch Subpugatory (great title, though). Yeah, she looks fucking horrifying as a Deadite, but in the footage and stills of her being chased, getting more or less raped by a couple of evil trees, and the scenes of shaking with fear and whispering to her brother We… have… to… get… OUT… of… here, I still don’t know how the made the stunning, wholesome redhead look as unhealthy and exhausted as she does in the first part of the movie. See below:
Well, they do have excellent make-up talent on board.
We’ll make another post soon with some screen grabs that aren’t too spoiler-y if you don’t want to ruin anything by watching B-roll footage, etc. You probably already had this idea occur to you, but check theater listings. If you can’t wait till Friday (we sure fucking couldn’t) there seem to be a TON of Thursday showings, some starting at 10:00PM and then again at midnight. A good half-dozen theaters in our area code did!
- New Photos, TV Spot And GORY Red Band Clip From “Evil Dead” 2013 (Spoiler-ish Clip) (horrorboom.com)
- The new Evil Dead movie could lead to a crossover, where Jane Levy’s Mia meets Bruce Campbell’s Ash! (io9.com)
- A Spoiler Free Look at the New Evil Dead (dreadcentral.com)
- *SPOILER* Evil Dead 2013 – Why You HAVE To Stay After Credits (Watch On Vimeo) *SPOILER* (horrorboom.com)
OK, maybe not, but you SHOULD watch this clip. Let’s hope there are more like this to come! Click the big red link below to check it out…
AUG 3rd UPDATE: Holy shit! We actually called it! Back in March! During FX’s presentation at the Television Critics Association today, Tim Minear announced some major casting–including the official news that Kathy Bates WILL indeed play Delphine LaLaurie! Yay
Mr. White Horror Boom. This character will put the Horror into American Horror Story: Coven. Read on for more gory, disturbing details (after the self-congratulatory logo we inserted) in the original piece!
So. Have you heard the very, very, VERY horrifying historical facts about her? Newspapers at the time called her, “a demon in the shape of a woman”. You know, the wealthy New Orléans socialite and notorious part-time torturer and murderess of slaves in her ‘employ’ in the 1830s who went by the name of Madame Delphine LaLaurie? No?
Are you SURE you want to?
Even if this ends up not happening, I doubt I’m alone in imagining it likely that Kathy Bates, now officially signed as a Season 3 lead –who will play the most evil character on American Horror Story “ever” according to Ryan Murphy— could end up portraying the vile, cruel, evil actual
c-word woman (who has even made it to a few “top ten evil humans in history” lists, click this link for one of them). The more tiny bits of info on Season Three of American Horror Story are revealed, the more our theory seems to fit.
Before we present our case, though, let me back up a little.
I’ve heard LaLaurie’s name before, mainly because reading about some of the most haunted places in American also gives you some really horrible and blood-curdling historical facts for the back story. On serious sites written by sane, intelligent people, they inform you (along with documentation, usually in the form of news stories and even photos to reference their knowledge) of whatever tragic atrocity or cruel twist of fate—often in the form of mother nature—occurred. One of these back-stories was on the notorious LaLaurie Mansion, still standing, and officially the most haunted building in New Orléans. Think of all the horrifying, miserable things that have happened in the area that go back centuries …and this mansion still managed to make it to the top of a list.
Supposedly, you can see terrified ghostly figures running around in fear, the most well-known was the ghost of a little girl who this awful bitch kept as a slave. When she was brushing Delphine’s hair, she hit a snag by accident. Delphine beat her with a whip until she ran for her life, with Delphine close behind. The little girl ended up on the roof (there’s plenty of photos of the actual site of the death) and either slipped, was pushed, or just jumped off just on instinct to put some distance between she and her attacker. I’m guessing it’s one of the last two. Stories claim on certain nights you can see the poor thing’s apparaition make an appearance by jumping off the roof and hitting the ground. That was about all I learned about the background of the mansion and all the atrocities that took place there, courtesy of Delphine. I would gladly be a servant to Countess Bathory than LaLaurie. Elizabeth Bathory just bled you do death. Still pretty horrible, but what ‘Ms. Bathory’ did almost seems quaint in comparison to the torture and living hell Delphine subjected her slaves to.
I regretted it when I looked for more online, because I found out more than I want to know. If you really want to know, here’s one of the LESS blood-curdling accounts. It’s still upsetting, though; you have officially been warned. What that crazy bitch did to her ‘servants’ she kept in an attic room is shockingly graphic and brutal; I’m linking to it because I don’t want to describe it. It takes a lot to turn my stomach, but this fucking nightmare of a story did it, and would have even if it was presented as fiction. Speaking of nightmares, you may be in for some really bad dreams tonight. If you decide to rifle around on Google for some of the more detailed descriptions, they’re not too hard to research …but again: we warned you.
Here’s a little more about the mansion itself, focusing less on the murder and torture.*
OK, now we’ve got the actual true-life background. Here’s some reasons why (and a couple why not) Murphy may have cast Bates as LaLaurie, with some hints that Ryan Murphy dropped in January and some recent news…
- A fairly recent article in The Huffington Post revealed Season Three in not only set in New Orléans, but also will in fact film there. This was confirmed by Frances Conroy herself (who will have a bigger role in S3- bring that ON!)
- When dropping hints in January, Murphy said it would be shooting in a specific location in America “where true horror has been” Check and CHECK.
- When the story broke that Bates would be featured in Season Three, it reported she was playing an actual ‘true-life’ evil woman, in a story that ‘really happened’. Check.
- Reasonable physical resemblance -see above and featured image (though Delphine may have been slightly younger when she was run out of New Orléans, it’s close enough), other than this horrifying wax museum depiction (hope they have enough sense to have that exhibit age-restricted)
- As far as Dylan McDermott saying Bates is “perfect” for the part, maybe he’s thinking of Misery, where Bates as Annie Wilkes kept someone against their will and made SURE he didn’t go anywhere (though he was already pretty fucked up below the waist from the car wreck, but she was capable of doing some serious damage… and had planned to kill him after the book was finally finished and she’d read it, at least in the novel …which was much more brutal than the movie).**
- Murphy said (also in January) there was going to be (as referenced above) the most evil, horrible female character he’d even written as the villain of the season. Read the story? Can’t argue with the description.
- Bates has also been revealed to play first Lange’s “best friend”, who would become her “nemesis”. Lange has been repeatedly described as playing a very glamorous character. Delphine was a very wealthy woman who threw plenty of fancy parties entertaining other wealthy socialites, so the guests here everyone dressed to the nines. No-one else except her husband was privy to the “attic chamber of horrors”, or, I’m guessing, the female slaves she kept chained to the stoves in the kitchen to cook. The other residents of the area did not take the news lightly after the horrifying, graphic report hit the papers, and angry mobs gathered, many ready to burn the mansion to the ground. So, I’m guessing she didn’t have a whole lot of friends left.
Here’s some facts against our theory –though we’re still betting on Delphine being a part of the story AND Kathy Bates playing her…
- When E! asked McDermott if he thinks Kathy Bates is “perfect” for the upcoming season, he said, “She really is. All the witches of Salem … there’s plenty of them!” Huh. Well, now we know they’re shooting in N’awlins. Did he maybe confuse magic with voodoo?
- Characters in American Horror Story Asylum unlucky enough to be locked up somewhere and against their will were also mangled by a horrible individual, and one of them begged for death. Also, Delphine LaLaurie was married to a doctor. Too much of the same?
- Murphy has reassured us this season will be much less dark and depressing (since everyone involved needs a change of pace after Asylum). The events surrounding Delphine were pretty goddamned brutal and I have trouble thinking how they could be played off as ‘campy’. However, we don’t know how large a role Bates will be playing- maybe the torture and atrocities that took place in the Delphine mansion are not the center of the story.
We’ll be adding any ammo we can find to back up our theory (or destroy it) as it develops. Watch this space!
*Here’s another about ‘the hauntings’. Most are probably bullshit. That being said, I’m sure as hell not going near that goddamned place at night even in a tour group. Ever.
**in which she chops off his entire foot with an axe, cauterised it with a blowtorch, and later uses an electric carving knife to cut off his thumb (no real reason other than her being in a bad mood that day) then later made a cake for him and stuck his thumb in calling it a special candle, telling him if he was good and finished the cake, he wouldn’t have to eat the candle. Sounds somewhere in the ballpark of Delphine LaLaurie.
- American Horror Story Scoop: Ryan Murphy Teases Kathy Bates’ Turn as a ‘Bad, Bad Woman!’ (horrorboom.com)
- Exclusive: American Horror Story Season 3 Pits Jessica Lange Against… Kathy Bates! (horrorboom.com)
- Kathy Bates’ American Horror Story Character Will be Spreading Some Serious Evil (dreadcentral.com)
- American Horror Story Season 3: Kathy Bates Joins Cast as Jessica Lange’s Nemesis (screenrant.com)
Well, THAT got interesting… Joe Manganiello on Talking Dead! Oh, and some interesting developments on the Sunday night episode, “Home”, too! Oh course that’s what I REALLY meant to type, heh-heh…
- Joe Manganiello Talks ‘True Blood’ Season Six! (justjared.com)
- Tonight On “Talking Dead”: Robert Kirkman and Joe Manganiello (nerdist.com)
- Celebrating Joe Manganiello’s 36th Birthday With His Top 10 Shirtless Galleries! (socialitelife.com)
- Neil Patrick Harris Dreams Of Joe Manganiello, Puppets, And Nudity! (perezhilton.com)
- Joe Manganiello Spotted With Mystery Woman, Spills ‘True Blood’ Season Six Details [PHOTOS] (socialitelife.com)
We first decided our dream job (on up there in the top five) would be getting to work for/with Dread Central and getting things like THIS in the mail back in 2011 when DC posted a series on the “American Horror Story Artifacts” they were receiving in the mail (for S1). These artifacts, which Dread Central carefully documented with a series of still photos, descriptions, and the story behind these packages sent to them with no return address info other than “The Murder House”. One was an ice-skate, splattered with dried blood and a clump of red matter on the blade of the skate… matted with hair. Another was a stuffed rabbit. Nothing cuddly, though, something that looked like it came from a deranged taxidermist (or a doctor from the 1920s with a ‘Frankenstein complex‘ who had been driven mad by his addiction to ether). This was s stuffed, mounted monstrosity with tanned/cured blood-red hide, no hair, buck teeth that looked more like those of a small shark’s, and disturbingly over-sized, bloodshot eyeballs. This writer–who is working on a piece* about that showstopper of an advertising campaign– would not display it in any room she planned on sleeping in.
We also have yet to see a shitty movie (ParaNorman and District 9 are a couple of excellent examples on going above and beyond to promote something they created)* that took such care and cleverness and craftsmanship sending out really cool boxes (usually mysterious at first) containing items, art, and ‘artifacts’.
So, what does our above jibba-jabba have to do with this? Turns out Stoker (
unleashed released on March 1, 2013) has also been doing creative promotion! Here’s an (updated) article from Dread Central about exactly what showed up in their mail to promote their movie. Click on the big red link below to read all about it–and even try to figure out why and how the PR/marketing team for Stoker picked this specific item!
UPDATED: What’s in the Box?!? Mystery and Intrigue Arrive at Dread Central! | Horror Movie, DVD, & Book Reviews, News, Interviews at Dread Central.
Your guess is sure as hell as good as ours! Man, what we wouldn’t give to work in an office that receives and gets to open packages like this. Hell, we’d fucking volunteer to work our butts off there for free if they were located anywhere near us…
*which, now that we think of it, are also separate pieces we’ll do a short series on …or a longer series if we find there’s even more genre movies, TV shows and events that use such imaginative marketing than we thought out there (cross your fingers).
- Park “STOKER” Gets A Rave Review From Fangoria – Yet Another Reason We Cannot WAIT To See This! (Sundance Movie Review) (horrorboom.com)
- Stoker, New Images Of Nicole Kidman, Mia Wasikowska & Matthew Goode (theartsyfilmblog.com)
- The Top Ten Horror Movies Our Hearts Are Pounding To See In 2013, Why They’re On Horror Boom’s Most Anticipated List, Plus Extras! (horrorboom.com)
- New Stoker Image Gallery Shows Off its Family Values (dreadcentral.com)