In the interest of full disclosure, we were not present at the SDCC Comic Con AHS Freak Show Panel, nor were we present at Comic Con 2014, mainly for lack of finances at the time to do any such thing. However, there was plenty of coverage out there, and we spent a lot of time online culling the most interesting new information (and of course, some speculation from us).
This was the first year AHS had a presence at SDCC, and there wasn’t as much new information as we’d hoped. Most of the “panel re-caps” were kind of sparse. Also unfortunate: the “sneak peek” at Freak Show that Ryan Murphy had promised for the panel was nowhere to be found;* plus, the cast wasn’t allowed to divulge much about the characters, or the storylines …but we got what fresh info we could!
1. Producer Tim Minear was at the panel (a very good sign). “I can tell you this, which is not much: It’s the best season so far,” he said. “It’s not like the first three seasons.” He also revealed he recently saw a daily that he could only compare to a scene from Zodiac — but with sherbet.
2. John Carroll Lynch is officially on board. Lynch is usually cast as big loveable guys (Fargo), or big frightening guys (Zodiac).
3.. Lynch will be playing a “big bad”. Tim Minear promised his character “will scare the shit out of you”. (an unofficial leaked call sheet said he was playing a “twisted clown”, so we’re guessing he’s playing the Clown Killer). Minear also said his character will be a scarier creation than Bloody Face, Rubber Man, and The Minotaur (who really didn’t stick around long enough to be scary, or a threat, in Coven, but hey).
4. Here’s the list of names of characters, and there’s some great ones in there:
Emma Roberts is playing “Maggie”
Sarah Paulson is playing “Bette and Dot Tattler” (conjoined twins)
Kathy Bates is playing “Effil Darling”
Chiklis is playing “Wendell Del Tolito”
Angela Bassett is playing “Desiree Dupre”
Evan Peters is playing “Jimmy Darling”
Jessica Lange is playing “Elsa Mars”
5. Peters’ character (Jimmy Darling) is the son of Chiklis’ character, while Bassett is playing Chiklis’ wife and Bates is playing his ex-wife. Got all that?
6. The season premiere already sounds pretty goddamned scary. Here’s what Kathy Bates had to say: “After my first scene last week — and this is a terrible confession to make — I couldn’t sleep until six in the morning, and then I slept for 30 hours …and that was without drugs, I swear to God!” Jesus. Bates then added, “I think [Ryan Murphy] scares the shit out of me.”
7. They’re going to have an especially large production team this year. For instance, Sarah Paulson said of the effects for her two-headed character: “There are about 22 people working on every single shot that I do.”
8. Speaking of Bette and Dotte, even Sarah Paulson’s solid acting talents were challenged. “How it will all come together I do not know, but it’s one of the hardest things I’ve ever done. I can’t just shoot all of Bette, then all of Dot. I feel like Sybil. I should call Sally Field and get some tips,” she said.
9. Evan Peters cut his hair (either that, or he’ll be wearing a wig). Also, gorgeous Angela Bassett still seems to be aging in reverse (photo credit : Zimbio.com):
10. This last one was revealed before the SDCC panel, but it’s worth repeating! Wes Bentley will be appearing in Freak Show’s two-part Halloween episode as a “tormentor” of Kathy Bates character, who is “hell-bent” on revenge. The two-parter is (for now) set to air on October 21st and 28th. (Source: TVline.com)
*Though the title of the panel was changed to reflect in the DSCC program that it was more about “A Look Back at Coven” than the upcoming season.