Here’s a great post. Since various combinations of “Pepper the Pinhead on American Horror Story Asylum” has probably been one of (if not the #1) top search term that lands horror fans on Horror Boom for the past month, I still wonder what her make-up process is, and if any wanted to see how her make-up was done. This great post from Laurie Kendrick briefly discusses that, but also the real life person Pepper is based on, Simon Metz (I never knew “Schlitze” was a man, which is kind of embarrassing since I consider myself a subject matter expert and big fan of the movie since I read about it in 1980. Then I discovered the Ramones connection and that took my obsession to a whole new level. I was actually too scared to see it after I read Stephen King’s vivid, horrifying description of the seminal film in his non-fiction book, Danse Macabre.
At the time, I didn’t want to see anything that gave Stephen King nightmares. Anyway, I’ve read several books on what were oh-so-compassionately termed Freak Shows and the actual people who performed in them. This is a great read on the subject of the movie and “Schlitze”. I have more information on the subject, but that’s for later, and Ms. Kendrick does a much better job here than if I worked on a piece full-time for a week. Check it out – and I agree. May Schlitze Surtees rest in peace. He’s more than earned it.
- American Horror Story Asylum – News and SPOILER Round-Up For Upcoming Episodes (Part 2 of 2) – Plus Pinhead Pepper Plots REVENGE! (horrorboom.com)
- First Teaser Trailer for the 2013 Carrie Remake Starring Chloe Moretz and Julianne Moore Is Here – Bloody Hell! (horrorboom.com)
- Photo Gallery for American Horror Story: Asylum – Episode 5: I Am Anne Frank – Part 2 (dreadcentral.com)
- American Horror Story Asylum – News and SPOILER Round-Up/Specs For Upcoming Episodes (Part 1 of 2) – Plus Pinhead Pepper Plots REVENGE! (horrorboom.com)
- “AHS Asylum” and the Problem of “Freaks” (Tod Browning; 1932) (tvandpop.com)